Hawks hang tight with ACGC after postponed game

Sean Cordy - Sports
W-G senior Alissa Smeltzer runs to first base after a hit against ACGC on July 3. PHOTO BY SEAN CORDY/THE PERRY CHIEF

After the game was postponed from Tuesday, a thunderstorm threatened to cancel the game again Wednesday, July 3 but a window opened up just in time for Woodward-Granger (5-31) to take on ACGC (12-16) for the final regular season home game of the year.

With pent up energy from the game’s two postponements, he Chargers made quite the splash going up 4-0 thanks to a two RBI double from Jayden Carrick. Needing a comeback to stay competitive out of the gate, things got to a rocky start after a baserunning mishap.

In stepped Alissa Smeltzer on Senior Night to turn the ship around, driving in Emma Anderson to get the ball rolling. Smeltzer herself got in soon after Allie Moore doubled despite a diving catch effort from ACGC. The team’s only other senior Mackenzie Major also found her way on base with a walk to keep things rolling. That was followed by another two-base hit from Rian Jamison, bringing the score to an even 4-4 game.

Putting in work as the pitcher as well Jamison blanked the Chargers the next two innings. Then in the fourth inning, the Hawks found themselves defending with the bases loaded. W-G managed to limit the damage to just one run coming through, falling behind 5-4.

They’d make an effort to climb back the next inning but a double play from ACGC ended the potential comeback.

Once the seventh inning rolled around, ACGC still only held a marginal lead but once again had ducks on the pond, ready to make a deep run like Des Moines Christian did the week before to close the game against W-G.

With a full count, Jamison struck out one batter, inching closer to retire the side without a run despite the loaded situation. But one run slipped passed off a liner to the outfield, a wound that was immediately stopped as Anderson tagged the third out at home to prevent a second run.

That heroic effort couldn’t continue on offense, though as the Hawks couldn’t recapture that first inning magic. They’d finish the game with six hits compared to 15 hits the Chargers put up.

On that note, seeing the defense hold ACGC to just a two-run margin despite giving up nine more hits, W-G head coach Wyant said she sees the team making great improvements compared to the front end of the season.

“They’re stringing it together more defensively. They’re picking each other up and they’re getting outs,” she added. “It’s not how we used to be with error, error, error, score, score. They’re kind of putting a stop to it and not letting it snowball.”

The Hawks will return to action for the first round of regionals hosting South Hardin on Monday, July 8.