Hawks get clipped by Cardinals

Cesar J ToledoSports ReporterCtoledo@theperrychief.com
Hawks get clipped by Cardinals

The Hawks’ pitching gave up a four run third inning to the visiting Cardinals that they couldn’t recover from.

A close scoreless ball game quickly turned for the host Woodward-Granger Hawks (2-4, 1-2) when the Earlham Cardinals (2-5, 2-2) took an early 4-0 lead to beat the home team 6-3 in conference play.

Despite outhitting the Cardinals,7-5, the Hawks four errors allowed the road team to keep their momentum.

W-G’s starting pitcher Brady Aunspach pitched well through two innings but in the third found himself in a tight jam that led to multiple Cardinals’ runs.

After hitting the first batter, Aunspach loaded the bases on two consecutive walks. A Cardinals’ single drove in the first run with nobody out.

A batter latter the road team scored their second run on a sacrifice fly. After the second out, Aunspach loaded the bases a second time and hit Earlham’s Zebin Kester for the Cardinals’ third run.

Aunspach’s struggles continued as he walked another batter for run number four. In came W-G’s Matt Buch to relieve Aunspach who moved to third base. Buch held strong and got out of the inning.

In the bottom of the third, Aunspach came up big with a double to center field that drove in teammate Marcus McConahay, who put himself in scoring position after stealing second base.

Up came Jackson Larson with two outs and a chance to bring Aunspach home. After a long battle Larson struck-out, ending the threat. After three it was 4-1 Cardinals.

Buch threw the rest of the game giving up no earned runs on two hits while striking-out four and walking one. The Hawks didn’t help their cause with four total errors accounting for the visitors fifth and sixth runs in the fifth and seventh.

W-G rallied in the bottom of the seventh with two more runs. The rally was halted giving the Cardinals the conference victory.

As a team the Hawks went 7 for 29 at the plate with one double, two stolen bases and they drew a walk.

In the loss, Aunspach struck out three walked three and was charged with the four runs. He was 1 for 4 with two RBI’s. Theisen led the team with with three singles in four attempts and an RBI.

Head coach Eric Evan was proud how his team continued to fight despite the early runs and believed they are close to winning those games.

“We are coming together as a team and need to eliminate the other team’s big innings,” he said.

The boys will look to bounce back this Tuesday, against the visiting Guthrie Center Tigers.