Perry firefighters save man from house fire
Members of the Perry Fire Department rescued a man from a house fire on Monday, April 20.
A fire was reported around 3 p.m. at 924 12th St. Assistant Fire Chief Brian Eiteman said firefighters made an initial fire attack at 3:22 p.m. and the man was found at 3:26 p.m. Eiteman, along with firefighters Joel Eiteman, Andy Modlin and Israel Baltazar pulled the man out of the house.
The man was then transported to an area hospital and his condition is unknown.
While firefighters were able to rescue the man, Eiteman said at least three dogs could not be saved.
Eiteman added that the house was a total loss, as well as a camper and a vehicle.
An investigation showed that the fire started from a camp refrigerator, which was in the living room. Eiteman said it looked like the dogs knocked over some pillows and a blanket, which were sitting next to the refrigerator. The pillows fell behind the refrigerator, which Eiteman said caused it to overheat and start the house on fire.
Firefighters left the scene around 7:10 p.m. Dallas County EMS and Perry Police Department also responded.
The Perry Fire Department had a busy weekend as it fought three unrelated fires before Monday’s house fire.
The first, Eiteman said, was a car fire reported around 11 p.m. on Saturday, April 18. Eiteman said the department was able to put it out quickly. No injuries were reported.
The second was an apartment fire reported around 1 a.m. on Sunday, April 19 at 2811 Warford St. Eiteman said the fire started on the deck or just inside the door of a first-floor apartment. The fire is still under investigation.
The third was a house fire reported around 3:50 a.m. on Sunday, April 19 at 1815 8th St. Eiteman said the fire remains under investigation.
Keep watching www.theperrychief.com for more information as it becomes available.