April 15, 1906: Perry celebrates new fire station with cornerstone dedication
By 1901, the town had its first fire truck, but nowhere to keep it. Five years later, townspeople celebrated their new fire station with a ceremonial cornerstone dedication. Enclosed in the stone was a bottle containing a history of the fire department, progress on the building’s construction and funding, and latest copies of the Perry Advertiser and The Chief. Fire Chief Fred Knell presided and Allen Harvey, co-owner of The Chief, addressed the crowd.
“There really wasn’t any cornerstone,” writes Marjorie Patterson in A Town Called Perry. “There were two columns at the front corners of the building which were built of brick and strengthened by iron pillars. The sealed bottle was lowered by cord into one of these columns.”