The Greene County Sheriff’s Office is investigating two young Perry men for arson in a fire that destroyed a house Saturday, June 22.

The fire was reported at 6:19 a.m. at a house owned by John Muir at 2250 X Avenue near the Greene/Dallas county line northwest of Perry, said Chief Deputy Jack Williams with the Greene County Sherriff’s Office.

Muir lives in the area, but the house that burned was empty. Firefighters from the Rippey and Grand Junction fire departments responded. One young man, who Williams would not identify, was burned in the incident and had to be hospitalized.

"We still have a couple of interviews to do, and we are not sure yet, exactly how the young man got burned, but we speculate it may have been a flash-over caused by gasoline," Williams said. He added that a fire marshal is expected to visit the scene sometime this week.

Greene County became involved in the investigation after several people who said they were witnesses came into the Perry Police Department Saturday night to report what they had seen. "If everything goes the way we hope it will, we will probably file charges on Friday, but that is just an estimate," Williams said. He confirmed that both men have Perry addresses.