The Perry Volunteer Fire Department responded to an apartment fire on the 1300 block of 2nd street early Wednesday morning. According to the fire report from the Perry Volunteer Fire Department, two individuals called to report the fire occurring at the apartment residence at 4:45 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 28. 

According to Fire Department Chief Chris Hinds, a candle was left burning in the night and caused the fire. 

The apartment residence is located on the second floor above an office space at the 1306 Second St. address. The makings of the residence include a front, middle and back residential space. 

The fire was located at the front apartment. 

The first caller was concerned about being trapped and unable to exit the building, the report reveals. Later, the Perry Police Department were able to get occupant out of the building. 

“There's a little bit of smoke up here still,” said Brian Eiteman, 1st Assistant Chief on Wednesday morning. “We're going to pick everything else up and let it sit for a little bit and see what's going on.”

Eiteman described arriving on scene. 

“The time the second truck arrived, we had water on line within a minute,” Eiteman said. “We had it really good knocked out from outside, then I sent an interior attack team go in.”

Firefighters were able to attack the fire by walking up the steps and entering the front apartment, the report details. Once entering the residence, members of the fire crew were able to stop the fire and look for smoke damage in the other two apartments. 

While on scene, Sgt. Matt Aswegan, of the Perry Police Department, arrested a female who had an outstanding Dallas County warrant, according to police reports. The individual was arrested for probation violation and possession of prescription pills at 4:58 a.m.

The Perry Chief will continue to update as more information is made available.